He started his media career ten years ago, after completing a graphic design course at the Arts Institute Bournemouth, he headed up to Scotland to work for a charity. While there one of his first commissions was to build a website for the charity, this led to a deep interest in web design which later developed with Flash and back-end programming.
In August 1999, he returned to Bournemouth to work for an international magazine publisher, working first of all as a Senior Designer, then later as an Art Editor. He worked on many leading UK magazines for the internet, lifestyle and gaming industry. Mark however soon found he missed working with the internet and embarked upon a career of teaching.
Working for Bournemouth University, Mark started teaching practical production such as Flash, Dreamweaver, PHP, MySQL, Photoshop, Director, Final Cut Pro and Cinema 4D.
In 2004 and 2006 Mark won awards for work he produced as part of an MA Interactive Media degree. He currently lectures in design for web and print media. He is also a freelance writer for magazines such as Web Designer and Photoshop Creative.
In 2009 Mark was appointed an Adobe Education Leader and attending the Summer Education Institute at Adobe in San Jose, CA. As part of his work with Adobe, Mark was invited to speak at NAB 2010, about his practice in After Effects as a tutorial for the Mix Tape masters programme at Bournemouth University. In February 2011 Mark was awarded the Adobe Impact Award in recognition of outstanding contribution to education.
Mark has now moved to Canada and works as a professor of Interaction Design at Sheridan College near Toronto.
- Web Designer Magazine, Imagine Publishing (Ongoing)
- Web Design Tips, Tricks & Fixes Vol. 1 & 2
- The Web Design Book Vol. 1 & 2
- Web Design – Books Vol. 1-6 , Imagine Publishing
- Genius Guides: Flash & Dreamweaver, Imagine Publishing
- Chambers, Clare and Shufflebottom, Mark 2008, International Conference on Business, Law and Technology . 17-19 June 2008, Innovation in Inclusion: A Financial M-Learning Game.
- Newland, B. eRes: Innovative e-Learning with e-Resources. Bournemouth University
- Pulman, A. & Shufflebottom, M. Serious Games on the Move Conference. 23-24 June 2008.
- Chambers. C. L. & Shufflebottom, M. Innovation in Inclusion: A financial M-learning game Part 1′. The Law Teacher. March 2010 Vol, 44, 1, 17-31
- Chambers. C. L. & Shufflebottom, M. Innovation in Inclusion: A financial M-learning game Part 2′. The Law Teacher. July 2010, Volume 44 Issue 2, 117
- Pulman, A. & Shufflebottom, M. ‘A Virtual Infection Control Simulation’. Serious Games on the Move. Petrovic, Otto; Brand, Anthony (Eds.) 2009
A list of speaking engagements:
- MACUL, Detroit, March 2015
- Adobe Education Leaders Summer Institute, San Jose, July 2014
- National Society for Education in Art and Design – Digital futures at the centre of art, craft and design education, Gateshead, March 2014
- Adobe Education Leaders Summer Institute, San Jose, July 2013
- Montclair University, Montclair, New Jersey, March 2013
- Adobe Education Leaders Summer Institute, San Jose, July 2012
- Adobe Education Leaders Summer Institute, San Jose, July 2011
- The Digital Hub, Bournemouth, June 2011
- FastTrain, BBC White City, May 2011
- The Digital Hub, Bournemouth, Feb 2011
- Adobe Max, LA, Oct 2010
- Screen Training Ireland, Dublin, August 2010
- Emerging Technologies Conference, San Jose, July 2010
- NAB, Las Vegas, April 2010
- SLS Conference, LSE, London Sept 2008
- Serious Games Conference, Cambridge, July 2008
- IBLT, New York, July 2008